4.05.2011

St. Clair Shuffle

There's a section of St. Clair in Cleveland where the ground shakes to a certain rhythm certain times of the day, if you pay close enough attention. From what i understand, it is a specific factory on the north side of the street that is stamping out something heavy-duty. As with everything Cleveland, i tend to add a little romantic sentiment to it, and thus I wrote this poem one morning after being up all night, riding the pulse of the city. Here it is, as well as a link to listen to the song I made out of it. The song is acoustic guitars, harmonicas, a shitty violin, and a number of vocal tracks, and was recorded a few nights later in my apartment between 4 and 6 in the morning. Hope you dig it!

my feet hit the ground
to the rhythm and sound
of the st. clair shuffle.
and my, how it seems
that life is a dream
in a world without a trouble.

the people pass by,
and by to my surprise,
they’re living life like it’s one big hustle.
but i was brought up right,
don’t know how to lose a fight,
and it’s my city ‘til it’s ashes and ruble.

cleveland, you know what you did,
but i am your kid,
walk the steel mills i call home.
there’s a nod and a wink,
and no matter what you think,
you’re my favorite excuse for a home.


Listen to the song here. I hope you enjoy it.

-john

No comments:

Post a Comment